This show is all about introducing poetry slam into your curriculum to help build engagement with the wider world of poetry.
I share with you four simple steps to creating a slam poetry unit in your class (it’s a lot easier than you might think!)
1. Place students in committees to give them ownership over their own slam event. If you’d like to use my committee handout, I’m happy to send it along. Just put your e-mail in below to subscribe and I’ll send it to you.
2. Share slam clips with students and let them judge and discuss
- Def Poetry Jam
- Youtube Channels: Youthspeaks, Button Poetry
3. Writing Workshops – focus on “memorable language” and “striking lines.” Find ten great writing prompts for these workshops and the slam clips connected to them right here.
4. Performance Workshops – let students practice speaking their poems and annotating them for performance.
If you enjoyed this podcast, don’t forget to subscribe on iTunes! SO MANY great shows are coming for you and I don’t want you to miss a single chance to get great teaching ideas while you are doing the dishes, grocery shopping, running, or eating lunch in your classroom on a busy day.